Mean Bean Burger
A cheap easy meal when there's lots of mouths to feed!
The base of most bean burgers is the same and the vegetables you use ensure to keep them moist so feel free to mix it up and use different veggies.
You can make your own variations by adding different spices too. If, like a lot of our team, you love spicy food, chipotle or tabasco sauce give these an extra zing!
For 4-6 burgers, you will need:
- 1 tin of black beans (about 230g when rinsed)
- ½ small red onion, skinned and very finely chopped
- ¼ green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, skinned and minced
- ½ medium carrot, grated
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- ½ tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp oats
- 1 handful coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp whole flax seeds
- 1 dash Worcester sauce (leave out if you're vegan, vegetarian or gluten-intolerant)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- ¼ tsp salt Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and lightly oil this
- Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until you have a smooth, thick consistency
- Spoon out 2 tbsp mixture per burger onto the baking tray and shape like a burger
- Bake for 15 mins until set
- Flip over and bake for another 10-15 mins until cooked in the centre and crisp on the outside
- Serve with or without a bun and plenty of salad
The Bear Grylls team love this with a big dollop of guacamole and sweet potato chips on the side! Enjoy!
FUEL FOR LIFE
This recipe is an excerpt from Bear's book "Fuel For Life," packed with comprehensive advice on ingredients, Bear's book dispels many common nutritional myths and includes over 70 simple, mouth-watering recipes.
Browse on Amazon »
Next Post Previous Post